Saturday, October 29, 2011

Global Economy at the Fabric Store


 Hancock Fabrics is the last place one expects to discuss world economics. Right?
 However, last week I found myself,  if not  discussing, at least making a chirp about
just that.
 And elderly lady-  she said she were a quilter - was asking one of the assistants about the best thread
for quilting. But she mumbled something about it had to be American made.
 When the assistant pointed to Gutermann ( I don't have the patience to find the program that
 lets me put the two 'umlaut'  dots on the 'u' ) and said it was the best, she picked it up and said
 "Made in  Greece"
 That was news to me, all this time I thought it was German.
 Anyway, again silly me, I plunged into a conversation I had not been invited to join- some may say
 that's typical - and I told her that Greece right now needed all the help it could get, even if it was just a few spools of thread, and that the Buy American is out of date in this global economy. She had already walked off with her American spool before the last bit.
 Since then I have tried to figure out how much of the three aprons I just finished is American, Greek, and Chinese.
Ah yes, the Europeans, in order to help out Greece had to phone China for a possible loan.
Rather than go to the trouble of analyzing my aprons, I'm happy to announce that my aprons are totally global.

1 comment:

  1. You are so great Gerda- thanks for sharing your wonderful thoughts!

    ReplyDelete